The most northernly coral reef ecosystem in the eastern Pacific
Season: June to December
Tour Duration: 8 Hours
- 275 USD p.p. min. 4 divers
- 1.300 USD Private up to 4 Divers
Boat ride, PADI Pro instructor, All necessary equipment, Water, Juices & Snacks, Marine Park Fees, Transportation.
What to Bring:
Sweater, Camera, Sunscreen, Diving Licence
Diving Cabo Pulmo
Up the coast, about 2,5 hours from Los Cabos is one of the local jewels of diving, Cabo Pulmo National Marine Sanctuary. Often referred to as the most northernly coral reef ecosystem in the eastern Pacific, the reefs inhabitants have flourished from protection.
A 20,000 year old reef
The reef is approximately 20,000 years old, an age that places it among the oldest in the American Pacific. In 1995 the area, around 7,000 hectares, was declared a Natural Protected Area and classified as a National Marine Park in order to preserve its biodiversity and reduce to the minimum the level of human impact.
What can I see?
- 226 of the 875 reef fish species that exist in the Gulf of California
- It is estimated that 15% of the species reported in the reef are visitors, among them Mantas Rays. Endangered Sea Turtle Species such as the Leatherback, the Loggerhead, the Olive Ridley, the Black and Hawksbill turtle come to visit the Marine Park to spawn or feed.
- Non-breeding groups of Sea Lions from California, as well as other marine mammals that travel through or near the boundaries of the park, such as Bottlenose Dolphins, the Spinner Dolphin and the Rough-Toothed Dolphin. Also in the winter, Humpback Whales can be found in the area.
Tour Schedule Corridor:
- 07:00am Meeting at Cabo Trek Office*
- 09:30am Arrival in Cabo Pulmo
- 10:30am Dive 1 (45 min. approx.)
- 45 min. Surface Interval
- 12:00am Dive 2 (45 min. approx.)
- 01:30pm Lunch
- 04:00pm Back at Cabo Trek Office
*Private Tours have Round-Trip Transportation included: Pick-Up time and location will be organized once Tour is reserved.
Some of the Baja Diving highlights:
- Cabo San Lucas: Sandfalls, Sea Lions, White Tip Reef Sharks
- Cabo Pulmo: Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks, Hammerhead Sharks, Schooling Groupers and Snappers, Shipwreck
- La Paz: Whale Sharks, Sea Lions Colony, Shipwrecks, Schooling fish, Nice Nature & Scenary
- Loreto: Blue Whales, Turtles, Sea Lions.
Baja California Sur region has a lot of dive sites that are well worth to be discovered.
Cabo Trek organizes flexible tours according to your wishes: let us know what you’re looking for, your level of expertise and we organize the right tour for your group.
Multiple day trips are also possible: not only diving, if you go for a multiple day trip we can explore Baja California a bit more in depth: fresh water waterfalls, cave paintings, ghost towns, desert tours are among the activities besides diving available in this region.
Need more information?
Call us today!
TOLL FREE 1 844 851 9842
Cabo Pulmo | Dive Site Statistics
- Large Marine Life 80%
- Macro 80%
- Large Schools of Fish 90%
- Sealions 50%
- Difficulty 50%
Explore the best diving in Cabo
Dive Sites in Cabo Pulmo
There are 10 dive sites to choose from and below are dive site descriptions of our favourites.
El Bajo reef is arguably the most spectacular. This site is a great opportunity for U/W photography as you can expect to see turtles, large schooling groupers and snapper. Green jacks suddenly shoot by like bullets flying through the water. Rays hide in the sand and bull sharks can sometimes be seen further out in the sand. All of this might be accompanied by the love song of a Humpback Whale.
Enjoy diving above small canyons covered in sea fans and stag horn coral. Since Cabo Pulmo has become a protected area huge schools of fish congregate north of the reef. Mexican goat fish, snapper, pork fish and grouper make for a colourful array of life. Schools of huge dog tooth snapper live here. Keep your eyes open for the reef shark that lives in a small cave on the deeper side and rays flying by out in the sand.
One of the most popular dive sites created from the wreckage of a cargo boat that sunk 30 years ago. It is now a cleaning station for bull sharks and is also a shelter to impressive schools of snapper and large grouper. Amberjack, Pompano and Golden Trevally are commonly seen hunting smaller fish on the wreck. A consitently great dive and the unofficial bull shark dive site of Baja California. If there´s one 10ft jaw-dropping reason to go to Cabo Pulmo it´s to dive among these magnificent animals. The sharks swim slowly and peacefully. We encounter them approximately 75% of the time.
Floating somewhere between the coral reefs of the north and the rocky canyons in the south of the marine park awaits a huge school of big eye trevally Jacks. With a bit of luck and a keen eye a dark patch on the surface gives away the location for our descent directly into this tornado of schooling fish. This is one of the most iconic dive sites of Cabo Pulmo.
Friendly Staff, Safe Boats & The Best of Diving in Cabo
Diving the Corridor
- Large Marine Life 70%
- Macro 80%
- Large Schools of Fish 70%
- Sealions 20%
- Difficulty 50%
- Large Marine Life 60%
- Macro 80%
- Large Schools of Fish 60%
- Sealions 100%
- Difficulty 40%